People who want to save time or money prefer to download free eBooks than purchase physical ones from a bookstore. Instead of visiting a bookshop to acquire reading materials, these people just sit in front of their computers and access the internet. This method of getting books has been extremely popular during the past few years, mainly because of the technological advancements made by manufacturers of mobile devices.
Nowadays, smartphones and tablets can easily display texts and images on their screens, thereby encouraging independent writers to start producing downloadable eBooks. A few decades ago, a writer needed to approach a publishing company just to get his works printed and distributed to customers. This issue is solved by the advent of the internet and modern gadgets. Today, almost anyone can share his written works with thousands (or even millions) of people with just a few clicks on their computer’s mouse.
This article will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to find and download interesting eBooks.
- Open a web browser and access your favorite search engine – Many people consider Google as the most reliable search engine today, so you may want to use it for this purpose. However, other search engines (e.g. YAHOO!, Bing, etc.) can also give you the results that you need.
- Enter the title of the book that you need – If there is a specific book that you want to download, enter its title on the search box and include the words “free eBook download.” Press the Enter key for you to get the search results. The best sources are often located at the top of the list, so you should check those first.
- Visit the websites and check their credibility – There are some websites who provide free eBooks so they can spread computer viruses. It would be best if you will read online reviews made by other users so you can get more information about the websites that you see on the search results. Stay away from sites that are accused of spamming or information theft. You should download eBooks from sites that have positive reviews.
- Click on the download link and wait for a few minutes – Some websites require users to pass a “CAPTCHA” test. These tests are in place to prevent spammers from ruining a website’s performance and reliability. Often, users are required to enter alphanumeric combinations before they can access the downloadable files. Follow the instructions written on the webpage and click on the download link. Specify the location where the file will be saved and hit ENTER. The eBook will be stored on the hard disk of your device after a few minutes.
- Run an antivirus scan on the file before opening it – Even though you have done your research regarding the eBook’s source, it is still important to scan the file just to make sure that your device will not be affected by a computer virus. These viruses can potentially steal your personal information, ruin the performance of your device, and destroy your files.
- Enjoy – If your antivirus program says the file is safe, go ahead and read the eBook that you have downloaded.